- To disqualify (oneself) as judge in a particular case; broadly: to remove (oneself) from participation to avoid a conflict of interest.
- To refuse or reject (a judge); to declare that the judge shall not try the case or is disqualified to act.
- The judge recused herself from that case, citing a possible conflict of interest.
- To refuse to act as a judge; to declare oneself disqualified to act (intransitive, of a judge).
- The judge recused from the case, citing a possible conflict of interest.
- To disqualify or seek to disqualify (a judge or juror) from participation in the decision in a case, as for personal prejudice against a party or for personal interest in the outcome.
- To disqualify or withdraw from a position of judging, as because of prejudice or personal interest#
- To withdraw from the decision making process because of personal interest or unfairness.
- To disqualify oneself (as a judge) in a particular case
- To challenge or except to a judge as being incompetent or interested, in canon and civil law
- To reject or challenge (a judge or juror) as disqualified to act, especially because of interest or bias.
- To withdraw from a position of judging so as to avoid any semblance of partiality or bias.
- Notable American cases from 2017.
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself from investigations involving the Trump campaign.
- House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes recuses himself from Russia probe.
- Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has recused himself from application decisions on the Keystone XL pipeline.
- It was thought that Former FBI director, Robert Mueller, should have recuse himself from Russia investigation.
- Sources: https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/06/14/mueller-should-recuse-himself-from-investigating-russia--comey-william-otis-column/102827924/, http://www.yourdictionary.com/recuse#r6XeelWJvDSph5zU.99, http://www.yourdictionary.com/recuse, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_disqualification, https://www.yahoo.com/news/trevor-noah-nails-why-donald-062920384.html, https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/recuse, http://www.dictionary.com/browse/recuse, http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-labels-attorney-general-jeff-sessions-%E2%80%98beleaguered%E2%80%99/ar-AAoKZ97?li=BBnbcA1, https://www.wired.com/story/trump-bags-of-heroin/?mbid=nl_71417_p3&CNDID=50121752, https://www.wired.com/story/jeff-sessions-war-on-medical-marijuana-gets-public-health-all-wrong?mbid=nl_61417_p1&CNDID=50121752, http://wired.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d6a9b4ef731bfa16b27259de6&id=db3cf48364&e=beaf9ada01, http://wired.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d6a9b4ef731bfa16b27259de6&id=c681dac2e0&e=beaf9ada01, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/07/27/anthony-scaramuccis-new-yorker-interview-is-beyond-words/?tid=pm_politics_pop&utm_term=.f495b93b5d48, http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/09/politics/rex-tillerson-keystone-pipeline-recusal/index.html, http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeff-sessions-press-conference-live-updates/, http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Recuse, http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/28/jeff-sessions-recusal-michael-flynn-investigation-237736, http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/28/jeff-sessions-recusal-michael-flynn-investigation-237736, https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/house-intelligence-chairman-devin-nunes-recuses-himself-from-russia-probe/2017/04/06/8122b5bc-1ad2-11e7-855e-4824bbb5d748_story.html?utm_term=.0f00de02be45, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/recuse and http://time.com/4689877/recuses-meaning-jeff-sessions-donald-trump/.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.